Monday, September 21, 2009

French Cafe

I seem to notice in the movies/pictures I have seen of Paris, or quaint towns across France that the table scape is generally the same. All tables are close together and usually round. My proof is that if you have ever been to or seen pictures of Paris in particular you will notice that the small bright, rustic wood tables are close together, and right on the street. I find this factor of life in Paris very interesting and cozy. Also, in the eight o' clock to four o'clock range you notice all the coffee being drunk, do you? I think this is why French people SEEM so relaxed.

But anyways, lets talk about cafes. In the United States a cafe generally consists of commercial brand baked goods. Some coffee that is fine, and some potato chips. The seating is casual with napkin dispensers thrown around places.

Compare that to a cafe in Paris (Not one in the Art Museum!) They are much nicer in France because they have cute tables, that are fancy at the same time. Also, they have fresh baked goods like warm croissants, rich brownies, etc. They give you glass silverware and glass cups. You want to go to a Parisian cafe more than you would want to go to Starbucks. Us being from the United States, we love Starbucks.
Julia Child would have hated to see McDonald's in general and she would despise even more that they were offering a "gourmet" snack of coffee and bakery treats. And we don't want to make her mad!

4 comments:

  1. In some bigger cities in the US there are some nice sidewalk cafes, probably modeled after Paris. In NY and Philadelphia there are many for example with tables close together. I think in Paris you see more because the history of the city is much older and people used to get together in the squares and meet and sit outside. Now with air conditioning, people tend to go inside more when it is hot.
    This is only my opinion of course.
    I look forward to hearing more about Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does anyone have a list of the best inexpensive restaurants in Paris?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I would agree with Mr. Dict. I have been to New York, Philadelphia (I made pretzels there for 12 years) and Paris many times and the main reason people eat indoors these days is that many places no longer let you smoke. So it is more pleasant indoors. Plus, there is dog poop all over the place in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MR. DICT,
    I agree with you fully about Paris, but in NY I notice it is not true. i think it is because of the litter, which brings me to MR. TAMBELLINI... I do not totally agree with the dog droppings statement, but i slightly agree with the smoking, just becuase people do not feel as, well, conjested. But at the same time Paris is one of the most beautiful places on earth, so I hear.
    And MR. BELLASARIO,
    It think I will do an article on inexpensive places to eat in Paris, thanks! Just a note: alot of cafes with coffe, etc. are more pricy but more casual lunch "pubs" are great, not tourist traps, and will not dent your wallet.
    Thanks!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete